Simple and easy ! My whole family loves this recipe so much. If it were for them, I’d be making this every day! Give it a shot, you’ll love it!To Make this Recipe You’ Will Need the following ingredients:
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 cups granulated sugar
– 3/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder sifted
– 2 tsp baking soda
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp salt
– 1/2 cup vegetable oil
– 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
– 1 cup hot water
– 2 large eggs room temperature
– 2 tsp vanilla
– Chocolate Swiss
– 5 large egg whites
– 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
– 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
– 8 oz good quality dark chocolate chopped, melted, cooled
– Preheat oven to 350F, grease two 8″ round baking pans and dust with cocoa powder. Line bottoms with parchment.
– Place all dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Stir to combine.In a medium bowl whisk all wet ingredients (pour hot water in slowly as not to cook the eggs).
– Add wet ingredients to dry and mix on medium for 2 – 3 mins. Batter will be very thin. Pour evenly into prepared pans. I used a kitchen scale to ensure the batter is evenly distributed.
– Bake for 45 mins or until a cake tester comes out mostly clean.Cool 10 minutes in the pans then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream:
– Place egg whites and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk until combined.**Place bowl over a double boiler on the stove and whisk constantly until the mixture is hot and no longer grainy to the touch (approx. 3mins).
– Or registers 160F on a candy thermometer.Place bowl on your stand mixer and whisk on med-high until the meringue is stiff and cooled (the bowl is no longer warm to the touch (approx. 5-10mins)).Switch to paddle attachment. Slowly add cubed butter and mix until smooth.
– Add cooled melted chocolate and whip until smooth.Assembly:Place a layer of cake on a cake board or plate. Top with approx. 1 cup of buttercream and spread evenly.
– Place second layer on top and do a thin crumb coat on the cake. Chill for 20mins.Place 1 cup of frosting on top and serve.